The nine earthquakes that rattled Dallas over the past 24 hours are reminders to take steps to protect your family, home, and business before an earthquake hits. FLASH offers the following easy and affordable earthquake safety tips for residents.
1. Support ceiling fans and light pendants with bracing wire secured to a screw eye embedded at least an inch into the ceiling joist.
Secure hanging artwork and heavy furniture with these easy and affordable steps.
2. Anchor the tops of bookcases, file cabinets and entertainment centers to one or more studs with flexible fasteners or metal “L” brackets and screws to prevent tipping.
3. Secure loose shelving by screwing into the cabinet or with earthquake putty placed at each corner bracket.
4. Secure china, collectibles, trophies, and other shelf items with earthquake putty.
5. Install a lip or blocking device to prevent books or other articles from falling off shelves.
6. Secure televisions, computers, and stereos with buckles and safety straps that also allow easy removal and relocation.
7. Install latches on cabinet doors to prevent them from opening and spilling out their contents.
8. Hang mirrors, pictures and plants using closed hooks to prevent items from falling.
9. Cover windows with approved shatter-resistant safety film to protect against broken glass.
Prevent post-earthquake fires with these easy and affordable steps.
10. Ensure appliances have flexible gas or electrical connectors.
11. Strap the top and bottom of a water heater using heavy-gauge metal strapping secured to wall studs.
12. Locate your gas shutoff valve and ensure you know how to turn off the gas supply to your home with the use of a suitable wrench.
13. Relocate flammable liquids to a garage or outside storage location.