When the air conditioning is out, stay on your lowest floor or head to the mall.
When temperatures soar, follow these safety rules:
- The coolest part of the day is normally sunrise, so plan any necessary strenuous activity for the morning.
- Stay indoors as much as possible. If air conditioning is not available, stay on the lowest floor, out of the sunshine.
- Drink plenty of water even if you don’t feel thirsty as water is most hydrating liquid to drink during a heat wave. Avoid alcohol and caffeine as they can intensify the negative effect of heat on your body.
- Wear lightweight, light-colored clothing to reflect some of the sun’s energy.
- Never leave children, elderly or pets in the car even with the windows down. Although the outside air temperatures may seem comfortable, temperatures inside a vehicle can rise 40 to 50 degrees and swiftly create deadly, oven-like conditions.
- Avoid using salt tablets unless directed to do so by a physician.